I want to share my recipe tofu and broccoli pie with you guys, it’s one of my favorites and quite easy to make. It’s great for when you have people over for a light dinner, and goes well with a fresh salad!
The original recipe for the crust comes from the book “Vegetariska kokboken” by Inga-Britta Sundqvist, which is one of my favorite books about vegetarian cooking (only in Swedish). I have an old version from 1984, so some things are of course outdated, but it has a lot of basic recipes and tons of information about vegetarian foods and how to cook them. Definitely a book worth checking out!
For the crust you will need:
3 dl of flour, usually I mix two different ones half-half
a pinch of herb salt
75-100 grams of non-dairy margarine or oil
4 tbsp of water
For the filling you will need:
about ½ a pack of tofu (150 g)
a small size broccoli
a small onion
a little oil
2 dl of oat cream
a little non-dairy milk
1 tbsp potato or corn flour
Time to start baking:
1. Start with the crust. If possible, make it at least one hour before you will bake the pie, if it gets to rest in the fridge for a while after it has been made it gets easier to handle. If you don’t have time for that, it can also be used right away.
2. Mix the flour and the herb salt together. Add the margarine or the oil and mix them well together with the flour. At this point the dough will still be quite dry.
3. Add the water and mix the dough together quickly. It should become easy to form. If it still looks dry, add either more water or more margarine.
4. Put the dough in the fridge.
5. If you have time, take a break!
6. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
7. Start preparing the ingredients for the filling; chop the onion quite small, cut the tofu into small cubes and the broccoli into bite-size pieces.
8. Heat some oil in a pan. Add the onion and fry it until soft, then add the tofu and the paprika powder. Fry until the tofu is a little brown, then add the broccoli and lower the heat. Fry until the broccoli is a little cooked, it doesn’t have to be soft. Put the heat off and put aside for a while.
9. Mix oat cream, milk, the rest of the spices, potato or corn flour (and if you like, nutritional yeast) in a bowl until there are no clumps.
10. Once the oven is warm, spread the dough evenly in a pie form, bake it in the oven for 15 minutes without the filling.
11. Take out the crust and add the filling. Pour over the cream-mixture.
12. Bake the pie in the oven for 20 minutes.
13. Let the pie cool down for a while.